Wednesday 30 November 2011

Starsmash - Part One - The Toughest Tournament in My 2011 Calender

[Reflection]

Two months ago I went to the tournament I had been building up to all year.  For me this is the toughest tournament of my tournament calender, and would be a real test of my improvement over the last two years.  I have been going to more tournaments and trying to get more games inbetween tournaments to up my game.

Starsmash is also my local tournament, run by local club (Spiky club).  It's 1500 points (I would prefer 1750 points, but variation is always good and shakes things up), 5 games and no comp.  What I think makes the tournament so competitive is a number of factors, the two main ones being that it very well run (helped by the fact that it's in it's 10th year at least), it's easy to get to with good rail and motorway links, and it's counts for full points on the Rankings HQ website.

Last year taking my Tau I finished very low, so I wanted to finish at least top half, with an top ten finish being ideal (out of 40ish players).

Rather than full battle reports, over the next few weeks I will show my main learnings from each game, from deployment & terrain rules to the dangers of clumping, and how the good or bad decisions in these areas affected the game.  First up will be deployment from Game 1.

Rathstar

PS. The list I used at Starsmash was:


Haemonculus Nalix Soulseer - 55
with Venom Blade

6 Incubi - 132
in Raider with Dark Lance - 60

3 Trueborn with 3 Blasters - 81
in Venom with 2 Splinter Cannons - 65

3 Trueborn with 3 Blasters - 81
in Venom with 2 Splinter Cannons - 65

10 Wracks with 2 Liquifier Guns - 120
in Raider with Dark Lance - 60

9 Wyches incl. Hekatrix with Venom Blade - 105
in Raider with Dark Lance - 60

8 Wyches incl. Hekatrix with Venom Blade - 95
in Raider with Dark Lance - 60

3 Wracks - 30
in Venom with 2 Splinter Cannons - 65

Ravager with 3 Dark Lances & Shock Prow - 115

Ravager with 3 Dark Lances & Shock Prow - 115

Razorwing Jetfighter - 145
with 2 Dark Lances, twin-linked Spinter Rifle & 4 Monoscythe missiles

Total: 1499 Pts

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails