Wednesday 6 January 2010

Returning to my Dark Eldar


Hi,

With my Tau and Space Wolf army left round my mates I was tempted to take my Dark Eldar down my LGS for a try out. When I last played with my Dark Eldar army the normal sized game was 1500 pts, but now it has moved up to 1750 pts. After a few minutes on excel I updated the list. However it now looks like I won't be going into town now that it's been snowing heavily all afternoon and evening and it doesn't show any sign of stopping.

Well anyway here's my new list:


Archon - 137
Punisher, Tormentor Helm
Plasma Grenades
Shadow Field, Combat Drugs

8 Wyches (incl Succubus) - 189
Succubus: Agoniser
2 Blasters
Raider

8 Wyches (incl Succubus) - 194
Succubus: Agoniser
2 Blasters
Raider with Disintegrator

Beastmaster & 5 Warp Beasts - 75

5 Warriors - 115
Dark Lance & Blaster
Raider with Disintegrator

8 Warriors (incl Sybarite) - 165
Sybarite: Agoniser
Blaster & Splinter Cannon
Raider with Disintegrator

6 Warriors - 118
Blaster & Splinter Cannon
Raider

10 Warriors – 110
2 Dark Lances & 2 Blasters

10 Warriors - 100
2 Dark Lances

5 Warriors - 110
Dark Lance & Blaster
Raider

3 Reaver Jetbikes (2 Blasters) - 95

Ravager (3 Distintegrators) - 120

Ravager (3 Distintegrators) - 120

Talos – 100

Summary
1748 Points, 79 Models, and a horrendous 20 Kill Points
18 Heavy Weapons
30 Ap2 Weapons & 6 Ignoring saves close combat weapons

My old list was a straight shooty list, with the Wychs being a mini ravager that deepstriked. Now that wychs can't shoot the turn the raider deepstrikes, and the fact I saw that wychs in numbers can be ok in combat I used the extra pts to turn one small unit of wychs into 2 medium sized units each with agoniser succubus.

In my old list my HQ was just a dracon with some warriors carrying 2 more dark lances, but I though at 1750 pts a close combat archon was due.

Finally to support the wyches and archon I also upgraded one of the warrior squads to a combat one with 2 extra warriors and a agoniser carrying sybarite.

There's definitely things I don't like about the list (apart from the horrendous kill point total, which I don't think I can do much about). I wanted to try and fit in some horrorfexs after seeing them used to good effect. I also had to trim some of the raider squads to their minimum size which I don't like doing. Lastly I'm not sure how effective the bikes will be.

An alternative idea I had was to put the archon on a bike and make the bikes an assault unit with the addition of extra bikes and a succubus with punisher. Only having games with them will help me decide, along with any comments you make.

Other ideas I was contemplating was to try out the webway portal, but at the moment I don't have the models for 2 reasonable sized warrior squads with sybarites to carry them.

I'll definitely have to give the Dark Eldar a few games before I'll be happy with a final list.

Rathstar

6 comments:

  1. Hello,

    It's glad to see someone has the same interests as me, Tau and Dark Eldar as well. I've been playing Tau for less than a year but I'm also interested in trying the Dark Eldars. I've seen there are updates to their codex but I don't really know which one can I trust. Can You send them to me please? My gmail is hersir988.

    I added this blog to my Google reader,
    Thank You,
    levente

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    The update used to be on the GW website, but I couldn't find it, however a quick google and I found it at: http://www.angelfire.com/games4/tabletop/download/dark_eldar_codex_update.pdf

    Basically a while after the codex game out GW released the update above. The changes were incorporated in the next printings of the codex. If you're codex has a picture of a stamp which says "Second Edition" on it them it will already incorporate the changes.

    I'm really looking forward to giving my Dark Eldar a whirl, should be fun.

    Rathstar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rathstar, hope to read from You soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a good list. You should definitely dust it off at and take it down your LGS. Let me know how it goes if you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment Cuchulain84.

    It's been a nightmare start to the year for me (too much work and other commitments, so I haven't managed to get much gaming in, apart from Bloodbowl).

    I'm definetely going to dust off my Dark Eldar and will definetely post a battle report here when I do.

    The list I'll take has changed slightly. I've never been too impressed with the jetbikes, so I've dropped them and one warrior from the small gunboat squad to get a dracon accompanied by 5 warriors with 2 dark lances.

    Firepower wise I've dropped 2 blasters for 2 dark lances (while losing some mobility for longer range). Should be fun to open up with 11 dark lances and 9 disintegrators turn 1 :)

    Rathstar

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd definitly agree with your list changes. I've been thinking about bikes a lot recently and I'm going to try fielding a maxed out squad with a Haemonculus and Archon soon to see how it holds up in combat. Looking forward to the batrep.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails